I have one more quick breakfast recipe for you for National Breakfast Month. I just made this up this morning and I loved it! It’s pretty simple and you can mix it up any which way you want. It can be as healthy or as decadent as you want. I call it a breakfast quesadilla, but I’m not sure if it is technically a quesadilla. Doesn’t a quesadilla always have cheese? Well, this breakfast doesn’t have cheese, but it is a bunch of yummy fillings in between two tortillas. Close enough, right? The apples become soft and sweet and the bananas get creamy and its all surrounded by a crispy buttery tortilla. This is my new favorite go-to breakfast!
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- a little bit of Smart Balance butter or oil
- natural peanut butter
- 1 small apple
- 1 small banana
- a sprinkle of oats
- a sprinkle of chia seeds
- a drizzle of raw honey
- a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar ( I use a few cracks from my Cinnamon Sugar Grinder from Trader Joe’s)
1. Heat the butter or oil in a skillet on medium. I don’t usually use butter to pan fry things, but I feel like it is the best for crisping tortillas. You can use oil, but I think butter is yummier. I use Smart Balance butter and I only use a little bit. Meanwhile, chop up the apple and banana into small pieces.
2. Spread peanut butter on one side of each tortilla.
3. Sprinkle the fruit, oats, chia seeds, and cinnamon sugar on top of the peanut butter of one of the tortillas. Add a small drizzle of honey.
4. Place the other tortilla on top of the fillings, peanut butter facing down. Place the whole thing in the skillet after the butter has melted.
5. Spread a small amount of butter on the top of the tortilla that is still uncooked and facing up. Once the tortilla facing the skillet is crispy and golden, flip the whole thing with a wide spatula and cook the other side until it is golden brown as well.
6. Slice into quarters with a pizza slicer.
You don’t have to use the fillings I used. Feel free to mix it up. Here are some different filling ideas:
- toasted coconut
- chocolate chips
- any kind of nut butter
- seeds (sun flower, flax, pumpkin)
- whipped cream cheese
- pumpkin pie spice
- Craisins or raisins
- agave nectar
- maple syrup
- fresh mint
I hope I have gotten your breakfast juices flowing this past month!
P.S. I just saw something similar on my pinterest feed and I was kind of bummed because I thought I made this up all on my own. Just so you know, I thought of this idea all by myself. Even if someone else did too. Haha.